Lemon Broccoli Hummus –– I grew up watching Sunday night football. It started out as something my dad would do and then slowly over time my brothers and I would make our way to the living room to catch the latest game. I wasn’t extremely passionate about the game itself but I enjoyed the camaraderie that came along with it, not to mention I could usually delay doing any homework for just a bit longer. It seemed that just about every year my parents would host the neighborhood Super Bowl party. A gathering of friends would come together, drink some beer and cocktails, share some intense moments of yelling and screaming at the players and refs on t.v. (as if they can hear), while wearing their favorite teams colors or sweatshirts and nibbling on finger foods.
These were fun times. After I moved out of the house, I sort of stopped watching football altogether. Sure, I would catch a game here or there, but it wasn’t something I’d really follow or seek out to do with my time. Now, living in Texas, where it’s almost all things football and the fact that I have one boy in particular that enjoys learning, watching, and playing (gah!) the game of football has made it’s way to our Sunday nights again. While I am currently trying to steer my five year old into another sports direction –– the thought of my youngest playing the game competitively frightens me –– we have certainly been enjoying watching this season. With a Super Bowl looming before us, we are in need of delicious healthy snacks to help us not yell at the t.v. so much. Dip fresh veggies or crackers into this tangy Lemon Broccoli Hummus or spread it over toast or even your next sandwich –– game on.
Lemon Broccoli Hummus Dip, Dive, or Spread.
|Prep Time||10 Minutes|
|Cook Time||4-6 Minutes|
- 4 Cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 Medium lemon zest and juice
- 2 Tablespoons tahini paste
- 1 Large clove garlic
- 1 Teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 Tablespoon kosher salt veggies, bread or crackers for serving
- Place broccoli into a vegetable steamer and pan. Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan and just slightly touch the bottom of the broccoli in steamer. Place pan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil and allow to steam for 4-6 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from steam pan and place into a blender or food processor.
- Next, add in the lemon zest and juice, followed by the tahini paste, garlic clove, onion powder, and salt. Blend or pulse together until well combined and smooth. Serve with freshly sliced vegetables or bread, and/or crackers for dipping. May also be used as a sandwich spread.
Leave a Reply